The land upon which our church and facilities is located was donated by John and Mary Pogson and the building of the original chapel, now known as the Wesleyan Hall, commenced in 1845. The stone was carted from Pogson’s land in Purchase Road. The stone building, originally 30 foot long and 18 foot wide, was officially opened in February 1846. Approximately 140 people attended the opening of the debt-free chapel. In 1873, the chapel was extended by a further 15 feet.
Consistent with the tradition of English Country Churches, the cemetery was opened on the vacant land that surrounds the original chapel. Whilst official records of burials only commenced in 1849, there is evidence that burials actually commenced in 1846.
In 1888, the centenary year of the colony being established, the trustees accepted a quotation of £875 from Mr. A Ross, of Granville, to build a new and larger Church. This Church, opened on 26th January 1889 was dedicated by 5 Ministers and witnessed by approx. 350 people. Final cost of the building was close to £1,000. Of interest, pew rents were set at 10 schillings for centre pews and 6 schillings for side pews.
The heritage values are preserved by inclusion within the Hornsby Shire Council,Local Environment Plan 2013.
In Schedule 5 Environmental Heritage
Part 1 Heritage items; “Cherrybrook Uniting Church, hall and cemetery" Identified with ”Local" significance, item 305
and in Part 3 Archaeological sites; “Cherrybrook Uniting Church, hall and cemetery” Item A24 listed with “State” significance